In a perfect world, we would all move during the months with the best weather, when the kids are out of school, and it would all happen on the day and at the time of our choosing. The reality is, this isn’t always possible. What can you do to minimize the stress of moving during the busy summer season? Read these tips for moving in the summer!
Tips for moving in the Summer
- Schedule your move at a less busy time of the month. The last couple of days and the first couple of days of each month are the busiest if you plan to hire a moving company or rent a moving van. If you can schedule it during the middle weeks of the month, you’ll have more availability to get the movers exactly when you want them, and sometimes the costs are less than an end of month move.
- Call your utility providers to schedule service changes a few weeks before moving day. If you need the phone or cable company to come to the new house, scheduling it well ahead of time reduces the risk of being delayed once you actually move.
- Have everything packed in the days and weeks leading up to the big day. Don’t wait until the weekend before the move to start packing because you’ll just get overwhelmed. Starting well in advance gives you the opportunity to get rid of things you no longer need or want in the new home. Items you don’t use on a regular basis can be packed early and by the day before the move, you should have everything but the bare necessities ready to go. This is especially important if you’ve hired a moving company to do the heavy lifting – they don’t want to stand around waiting for you to pack boxes, and you’ll end up paying more for their time.
- If you are using a moving company, make sure you label your boxes clearly. Identify what’s in the box and which room it is for. If the movers know which room something is going to end up in, they can just put it there for you at the start.
- Keep items together that you’re going to immediately need at the new house. Toiletries will be important when you wake up in the new house on the first morning, so having them easily accessible, in one place, makes it easier. Same goes for the toaster or the coffee pot.
At RE/MAX of Nanaimo, we can do more then provide tips for moving in summer – we can help you find the perfect new home for you and your family! Call one of our well qualified agents today at (250) 751-1223 and get started.