Nanaimo is a wonderful city full of events, activities, festivals and so much more. If you don’t plan on leaving town this summer but want to feel like you’ve had a vacation, why not try some activities or go to some events you might not normally attend. Here are a few events happening in Nanaimo this summer for those of you planning your staycation.
Planning your staycation
- Silly Boat Regatta. This event takes place July 17 at Maffeo Sutton Park. Celebrating its 32nd anniversary this year, the event started in 1984 with about 5 teams. This year, there will be nearly 50 teams and it’s expected to draw around 10,000 spectators and participants. Boat building kicks off at 8 a.m. with races starting at 1 p.m. In addition to boat building, there’ll be music, performers and fun family activities. Sponsored by Coast Capital Savings and the Nanaimo Child Development Centre.
- Concert in the Park series. July 6, 13, 20 and 27 at the Bowen Park Amphitheatre and August 3, 17, 24 and 31 at Maffeo Sutton Park. Each concert goes from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and features a different entertainer each week. You’ll find everything from children’s entertainers, to pop/folk music, classic and soft rock and even the Nanaimo Chamber Orchestra. For more details, go to nanaimo.ca or call (250) 756-5200.
- The 2ND Annual Nanaimo BBQ Festival takes place August 13 and 14 in the downtown area. Get out and enjoy the incredible BBQ cook off featuring up to about 35 contestants or take part in the rib eating contest. There’s live entertainment, a family fun zone and outdoor vendors providing food and drinks.
- Vancouver Island Exhibition (VIEX) is happening August 19 to 21 at the Beban Park Fairgrounds. Grab the kids and enjoy the amusements, 4H petting farm, music and more.
- Parksville Sand Sculpting Competition. This event takes place from July 15 to August 21. It’s just a short drive up the road at the Parksville Community Park. You can watch the carving starting at 2 p.m on July 15. Judging takes place on Sunday, July 17 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. The winner will be announced at about 5:30. The sandcastles will be open for viewing until August 21 so you can enjoy them any time your schedule allows.
The City of Nanaimo has a full events calendar on their website with many more activities and events scheduled. Go to www.nanaimo.ca and find the ones that suit your family best.
If you are planning a move this summer, give one of our RE/MAX of Nanaimo REALTORS® a call today at (250) 751-1223 and ask how they can help!
From RE/MAX of Nanaimo’s humble beginnings, to the market-dominating business it is today, the company continues to grow and adapt to suit client and agent needs. Some things, however, never change. Our commitment to service, ethics, and continual education means that our clients can benefit from the knowledge and experience of Nanaimo’s top real estate professionals, while our REALTORS® benefit from a working environment that supports their professional and personal growth.