Ever ask yourself why your house might not be selling? In today’s market it’s not much of an issue, since most properties are selling fairly fast. But in days gone by, and no doubt, at some point in the future, the market will turn and some homes will take longer to sell. We’ve put together 7 reasons to answer the question, “what are the reasons why my house may not be selling?” What are some of the most common reasons why a house sits on the market?
Why my house may not be selling
- Rooms are full of junk. De-cluttering is one of the most important things you can do. Since you’re moving anyway, pack up the stuff you don’t use, don’t need, or that’s just sitting around waiting for someone to deal with and store the boxes in the basement or garage where they’re out of the way.
- The yard is overgrown. Prune the trees, trim the shrubs, clean up the flower beds, and cut the grass. It won’t take long, and it will greatly improve the curb appeal of the home. First impressions DO make a difference so you want the first thing people see to be your well-kept yard.
- It has an old kitchen or bathrooms. We’ve all heard countless times that bathrooms and kitchens sell homes. Even if you don’t have money to completely renovate, there are things you can do to improve these rooms. Paint them with a fresh new, neutral color or remove that old wallpaper. Depending on the age of the home, maybe install a new toilet, or add new fixtures like towel bars, toilet paper holder, lighting or faucets.
- Bad or unfinished DIY projects. Chipped paint, exposed wires and holes in walls can all deter people from buying your home. Unfinished jobs make the home appear beat up or not well maintained and no one really wants to come in behind you to clean up your mess.
- Bad smells from things like pets, dampness, cigarettes or even cooking. Air the place out and make sure you try to minimize bad odors as much as possible.
- Wet patches or stains on ceilings or walls. This implies leak issues (fixed or not), and people don’t want to have to deal with finding and fixing leaks when they purchase a home. If you have stains from old leaks that have been repaired, then paint the area so it’s clean and fresh.
- The home is untidy or dirty. Once your house is on the market, think of it as the neighborhood “show home”. Keep it clean, keep it tidy and people will know you’re an owner who cares about the home and has looked after it well.
There are seven great ways to answer, “What are the reasons why my house may not be selling?”
If you’re not sure where to start, ask your real estate agent. At RE/MAX of Nanaimo, our agents are experienced in helping people display their homes in the best possible light. Call us today at (250) 751-1223 and we’ll get started!
From RE/MAX of Nanaimo’s humble beginnings, to the market-dominating business it is today, the company continues to grow and adapt to suit client and agent needs. Some things, however, never change. Our commitment to service, ethics, and continual education means that our clients can benefit from the knowledge and experience of Nanaimo’s top real estate professionals, while our REALTORS® benefit from a working environment that supports their professional and personal growth.